Just got off the phone with Renegade, and I got some bad news. They had some issues with the flywheel, so they are currently in the process of redesign. I was told that the prototype is nearing completion, but it will be at least a couple of weeks until it’s ready for production. Not really sure what I should tackle now… I got 8 packages waiting for pickup in Buffalo, but there’s no point in driving down without the kit. I guess I’ll use the time off to get serious about my job search.
If you plan on doing this through Renegade, do yourself a favour and order the kit as early as possible. I placed an order at the end of January and I’m still waiting.
Here’s a rundown of things that need to be done:
- Pick up the packages from Buffalo. This includes:
- Low profile LS2 oil pan to improve ground clearance
- C5 Corvette engine mounts
- Wevo Boxster S transmission mounts
- Oil pressure sensors and relocation hardware. Once the intake is flipped 180 degrees, it will not clear the oil pressure sensor.
- LS1 fuel filter/regulator. The LS1/LS6 fuel rails don’t have a return line, so the regulator is located on the filter.
- Engine parts: gaskets, head bolts, harmonic balancer bolt, intake bolts, remote thermostat housing, LS4 harmonic balancer. There’s not enough clearance for a regular harmonic balancer, so you will have to purchase an LS4 unit.
- A whole bunch of fitting and lines
- Engine. Still waiting on that kit from Renegade. I might just make my own reinforcement plate and weld that in while I’m waiting.
- Wiring. Still looking for LS1 harness and ECU. The harness will need some work to get rid of the unnecessary bits. On the Porsche side, I’m probably just going to make my own harness. It only needs a couple of sensors, so there’s no point in ruining a good one. I might just buy an ECU plug from itsnotanova on the 986 forum to make things easier. If you need some parts for your build, he’s the man!
- Throttle pedal. I just purchased a cable throttle pedal from an early Boxster. Still have to figure out how to route it to the engine. I’m looking into purchasing a Mr. Gasket universal bell crank to match the pedal travel to the LS1 TB.
- Brakes. I need to replace all the brake lines and one hard line. I’m thinking about buying a Copper Nickel coil and replacing the hardline myself. Currently designing a tube straightener. I also have to fix the vacuum lines.
- Electric power steering. I pretty much have this one figured out, just have to cut the lines and put everything together. I’m thinking about leaving this one for last in case I have to relocate some stuff. I do still need -6 AN fittings that go into the steering rack. If you have a machine shop, please get in touch with me.
- Interior. The interior will remain mostly stripped, except for the custom door cards. I will most likely get some Rennline stuff for pedals and floor. I’m still looking for some nice budget racing seats.
- Suspension. I think I will keep the stock suspension until I have the car on the road. The rear struts are fairly new, but the front ones are looking pretty rough. Once I have the money, I will probably get a set of PSS9s.
This is all I have for now. Thanks for following guys, and sorry about the lack of updates.