Hello there,
Welcome to my project blog! My name is Vlad, I'm a Mechanical Engineer from Toronto, Canada. Please follow me on this quest to convert a Porsche Boxster S roller into a V8 beast!

Boxster V8 conversion

Picked up the parts today…

The kit finally arrived and this morning I was able pick up all my parts from the Niagara Falls mailbox. In total 21 packages! Had to pay $150 to the mailbox facility in storage fees while I way waiting on the delayed Renegade Hybrids kit and an additional $460 in border taxes.

There are still a few little things that I will have to buy as I go, but the majority of parts are here. Tomorrow I will begin on the motor assembly and possibly fit the renegade kit to see where everything goes.

My first impressions of the Renegade kit are mixed. The packaging was horrible! The boxes looked like they’ve been reused about a dozen times, and two of them had holes the size of a grown mans fist. I just hope that nothing fell out in transit. The overall quality looks pretty good, the welds look nice and the paint finish is excellent. All the hardware came in one huge bag with no labels or instructions. I feel like I will have to spend some time figuring out which bolts go where.

The Kennedy Engineering bits look amazing. You can tell that a lot of care went into the design and machining of their parts. Their kit also comes with an installation manual, but I haven’t had a chance to look through it.

Going through all the boxes before crossing the border

Renegade Kit

A whole bunch of random parts. Gaskets, bolts, engine and tranny mounts, fuel filter, oil filter,….

SPEC Stage 2 Boxster Clutch

C6 Low Profile Oil Pan

The kit is finally on its way!

I received a call from Renegade Hybrids on Friday letting me know that the kit was finally shipped. I will be picking it up at the border along with many other parts at some point late next week. If you were ready to give up on this project, I promise there should be some solid updates coming soon.

Total Cost Update

Hey guys,

I just spoke to Renegade yesterday, the kit should be on its way next week! I also started fabricating the reinforcement plate to replace all that metal that I cut out, but I have no pictures to show you. I probably won’t be welding it in until I get weld-thru primer and good aerosol 2K primer. I might also get some seam sealer to seal the welds and keep the moisture out. There was a whole bunch of water inside the body when I was cutting it up, so just want to make sure the reinforcement plate doesn’t rust.

Since it’s been a little slow lately, I decided to run up the total for my build up to this point. You can find the updated BOM here. This does not include everything, I still need: seats, brake lines, starter, alternator, belt, power steering fittings, headlights, water pump, water hoses, and whatever else I’m forgetting.
 

$14,322 CAD

Almost ready for the engine

Today I managed to finish cutting up the engine bay. It took much longer than I had planned. Make sure you have all the right tools before you begin this one; a rotary tool and an angle grinder a must. If you don’t have a car lift, expect to spend 4-6 hours in there. I would also suggest drilling out all the tack welds first, that way you can just pull some metal off.

Tomorrow I’m picking up a flat steel bar for a brace. I will have to stiffen up the chassis to make up for all the sheet metal that’s been cut. The hand brake splitter will also mount to the brace.

You have to cut a strip of metal from the top as well to make clearance for the intake manifold. I’ll have to make more adjustment cuts once I have the engine in place.